Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A tribute to Mike Robins

He didn't want your money.

Mike Robins was defeated for the two year Elgin seat last night. He improved his position since the primary by gaining another 5% of the voters, but it wasn't nearly enough to win.

Mike Warren was a formidable opponent. He came out early with his signs. He had the billboards, too. Lots of them. Warren appealed to the business owners through his Rotary connections and the progressives with his Well Child work. He had the #1 spot on the ballot. And obviously he had some money behind him.

The other Mike, Mike Robins, didn't have your money. He didn't WANT your money.

Mike Robins is a different kind of politician. In fact, you might say he isn't a politician at all.

A politician would have wanted special interest money. Mike didn't want union money. Heck, Mike didn't want AFLA money.

A politician would have wanted individual contributions. Mike never pitched for your money like the others did. He used his own money to run. Thousands of dollars of his own money.

A politician would have danced around the question of taxes. Mike Robins made it clear that he wouldn't vote for increasing your taxes, even a $2 phone tax.

A politician would have remained silent about the $10,000 a year members of the city council receive. Mike Robins not only said he wouldn't accept that money, but he published a list of the charities he was going to give it to.

See what I mean? Mike Robins proved he didn't want your money. All he wanted was a little space on your lawn for a yard sign, a few hours of time to pass out his literature, a few phone calls.

If you ask me, Elgin missed a rare opportunity to elect a man who isn't a politician and didn't want your money. Thank you, Mike, for giving it your best.

~Doug Heaton

5 comments:

  1. I really wanted Mike Robins to win the two-year seat. My husband and I both voted for him.

    Maybe this write-up would've had an impact BEFORE the election.

    Will he run again?

    I am happy Prigge and Dunne were elected but would've been thrilled if Robins was too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't win it all! Hopefully he will definetely run again. Elgin definetely needs him and his ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THANK-YOU m. Robins,you can be proud of your actions. Alot of us voted for you!!here,here to mike robins!!! Hope you continue active helping out the two honest new guys. We can EXPOSE the COMBINE in Elgin!Good luck mike and we look forward to hearing more from you. Thanks to your people and family!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr Robins Thanks for your efort on behalf iof our community. I believe the total votes you lost by was only 4. Please consider running again. We will make sure you win by 40 votes next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thankyou Doug and Dave and all of the rest of you who listened to me and had trust in my ideas. I was embarrassed Election night driving home, and the next day would not look up at people walking my Golden in the park. Coming in fourth place felt like a rocket hit me in the chest for about a week. John Prigge and I spoke daily for two months and it took me a week to call him. He thought I fell off a cliff. Several of you have advised me that for coming out of left field in this race as an unknown and getting started late, that I gained enormous momentum after the primary. My wife and I will gain the Five Thousand back in savings as we are doing a Refi on the Mort. My family tells me the money was spent on a great cause, however, I will replace the savings. Many of you have asked me to run again for some office. It will take time to condider this. It still feels like Smokin Joe knocked me out of the ring, for good. Thanks again for following my agenda and research on making Elgin a good community. I may have some ideas in the future as to cast my votes on council matters as if I would have been voted in, and keep a tally of how I would have voted on important matters. If the city is buying a new tracter for 18000.00 for public works, you don't need or want to know how I would vote on that. Lets see what time brings us all.
    Mike Robins

    ReplyDelete