Thursday, January 29, 2009

Town Meeting

State Rep Keith Farnham and Elgin Mayor Ed Schock
at the Elgin Library January 29, 2009




We had a chance to ask questions and listen to our new state rep, Keith Farnham.
I counted 53 people. Seven of them were AFLA people. That was a pretty good representation.
I asked Farnham if he would help sponsor a bill to get some Immigration training for the State Police. (Alabama has 60 troopers trained.)
He called the idea interesting but stopped short of endorsing it. He then went on to say that he is opposed to employers who exploit workers just because they are illegal.
So I said, "That means you are in favor of E-Verify so employers can't hire people who are here illegally?" He deflected that comment as well.
Then a couple of people on the other side of the room chimed in about illegals taking away jobs. I have no idea who they are but I want to thank them for bringing it up.
I gave Rep. Farnham a copy of our state level initiatives. We'll see if he can buck the party and work on some of those issues.
Farnham is a proponent of "Comprehensive Immigration Reform." I wish those people would stop for a moment and ask, "What will change locally if they give amnesty to illegals?" The answer is that they will take more jobs and more benefits from citizens. The problem already impacts local governments. This will only make matters worse.
Schock spoke a little about the immigration problem and said he's sworn to uphold the U S Constitution and how these are federal matters.
Well, the problem is that not enough people are taking these "federal matters" seriously. They are ignoring the laws on the books.
Schock then went on to say he did not want to see the city sued like Escondido CA and Hazelton PA.
I wanted to ask Schock if AFLA has ever suggested that the city embark on a program that would be against the law. The answer is NO. All of our proposals are grounded in existing programs by federal agencies.
Candidate watch: I saw Brenda Rodgers, Charlene Sligting, and Emi Morales at the meeting. Good for them.
Missing were all the rest, including incumbents Gilliam, Figueroa, and Walters. The perennial Dave Kaptain WAS in the audience.
All in all I think we were well represented. Please put pressure on Farnham to review the state initiatives and give you an answer.

2 comments:

  1. Keith Farnham came to my house. I told him about my support of AFLAs State and local issues. He told me he would support those initiatives. Do we see him dodging now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, he's friendly to us. I've met with him twice since he took office. His big thing is the exploitation of illegal alien workers. When I pressed him about E-Verify (which would go a long way toward keeping them in their home country) he won't answer the question.
    He also won't commit to 287g for State Troopers.
    He's new. He's being careful NOT to promise things he can't deliver for sure. I appreciate that.
    I don't expect him to lead out on immigration as a freshman Democrat, but I will be watching his voting record.
    ~Doug

    ReplyDelete