Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The rules don't apply

Have you noticed how some people think the rules don't apply to them?

For example, the Insurance Research Council has determined that 15% of Illinois drivers don't have car insurance, compared to a national average of 13.8%. We all know car insurance is required. But some think they have a right to drive without it.

Some folks think they have a special dispensation from God to come to the United States...and that we should allow them to stay even though they broke the law.

And so we enact more laws and regulations to govern our lives.

In 1798 John Adams warned us that our Constitution is "wholly inadequate" to govern people who lack a moral base.

I was reminded of that this morning when I discovered that Mike Robins campaign signs had been stolen from my front yard (again!).

It's against the law to steal something from someone else. It's against the law to come on to the property of another to commit a crime.

But stealing political signs violates another principle dear to us. The naturalization test to become a citizen asks, "What is our most important right as citizens?"

Answer: "The right to vote."

Someone is tampering with that right and it angers me.

I've lived abroad. I've watched the not-so-orderly transfer of power in a Third World country. I've watched mobs shut down a city of 300,000 for a week as they tore up streets, overturned cars, and burned newspaper kiosks in the street.

I don't ever want to see that here.

Shame on those who came on my property and stole the Mike Robins signs. You have no sense of right and wrong. You are the reason we have to pass so many laws telling us what we can and cannot do...BECAUSE YOU CAN'T GOVERN YOURSELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment