Wednesday, February 20, 2008

No answer

It is time to make a list of elected officials who never call you back. In fact, they never acknowledge that you even exist. Of course, they allow themselves the liberty of making campaign phone calls (a la telemarketing) to tell you what great people they are, but you really only matter to them one day during their term.

Lisa Madigan, Attorney General – I sent her a request way back in August to consider an action similar to that of the Attorney General in New Jersey. No reply, even after three follow-up e-mails.

Rodney Blagojevich, Governor – After no response from Madigan I used his on-line form to request that his office get an answer for me. No reply.

Pat Perez, Kane County Sheriff – I sent him an e-mail asking about alien screening and requesting that he post immigration status on the inmate registry. No reply. I have sent six follow-up requests for the same information.

Jack Cunningham, Kane County Clerk – I sent him an e-mail regarding the problem of loose rules for voter registration. It has been three weeks.

Dan White, State Board of Elections – I e-mailed him and the rest of the board at the same time I did Cunningham. No answer there either.

Patricia Reid Lindner, State Rep – Can’t even acknowledge receipt of a book I sent her.

Brent Hassert, State Rep – Can’t even acknowledge receipt of a book I sent him.

Ron Stephens, State Rep - Can’t even acknowledge receipt of a book I sent him.

Dan Rutherford, State Sen – Can’t even acknowledge receipt of a book I sent him.

In case you haven’t noticed, some of our elected leaders make it harder to contact them. Instead of just giving you an e-mail address, they require you to fill out a form and submit it to them.

Other elected officials have taken the approach, “Never put it in writing, and NEVER over the Internet.” People like us who aren’t afraid to broadcast responses are the reason. It limits their wiggle room.

But I think if an elected official isn’t willing to stand behind his decision and give a rational reason for it, he isn’t doing his job. No wonder approval ratings are in the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment