Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Elgin's priorities

You read about my “violation” in the eyes of our fair city (see post below). Here’s a photo of my unpaved driveway apron.



Now here’s a photo of a situation just two blocks from my home on a busy street. The address is 619 Hiawatha. Note the fine parking situation. But there is more. TWO MORE CARS are parked on the street. (I was unable to get them all in one picture.) When the snow ban goes into effect, they park the other two cars on the sidewalk, parallel to the street. How do I know so much about this place? Because I drive past it every morning on my way to work.




But that’s OK. We’ve got to stomp on a 20 year resident for having a gravel apron next to his driveway, but loading up a duplex with seven or eight cars is OK because we can’t do anything about that. The feds won’t let us. We’ll get sued.

I’ve heard it all before.

There is something wrong with this picture and some how, some way, some day our government is going to get the message.

6 comments:

  1. While I agree with you that there is a parking problem in Elgin, I think that the city is correct. There is an ordinace that states that driveways must be concrete or asphalt. While I don't agree with the ordinance they are correct in askin you to fix the situation. Now if you were to erect a small fence around your gravel area and NOT park your car on it I don't think that you would have a problem. Personally I would love to have a gravel driveway. This would put less water into the sewer system and more water back into the water table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The whole problem with code enforcement is that it infringes on the basic American rights of property owners while failing to fix the problems it was written to fix. The overcrowders continue to get away with their practices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How many families live in each duplex. I would have the City code enforcement measure and keep pressure on them until the problem subsides. It is time all stand up to be heard. Our city is going down the p**p shute no ones property will be worth anything. Take a drive down Villa that is a real slum. My neighorhood is going down slowly but I am standing up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it traditional to park in the middle of Zen gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps we're getting off topic a touch here? Focus man. Those damned illegals, remember? Get them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, I am not an orthodox Zen-ist so I DO park my car in the garden. But you xenophobes just don't understand my diversity. I can do pretty much whatever I want as long as I'm not a WASP.

    ReplyDelete