Friday, June 12, 2009

Close to home

Last night I was listening to a radio program in the upstairs bedroom. I have a pretty good view of the street from up there.

At about 10 pm a police car sped down Summit with lights and siren going, then turned North onto Hiawatha.

A short time later I noticed another police car on the corner by the Animal Hospital. It was stopped there for quite a while with the lights on. At about 10:30 I started to walk down the street to see what was going on. I got about 100 feet from the house when I was stopped by two undercover police in a minivan (nice disguise!).

They said there had been a shooting right through my back yard and wondered if I had seen or heard anything. (I hadn't.)

I went back in the house rather than get in the middle of their search.

There were six officers and a dog combing the area of the baseball fields. They spent about an hour searching for who-knows-what? A gun? Shell casings? Suspects in hiding?

It turned out that a woman was shot in the face at 670 Jefferson. The suspects have not been caught.

Just this week I received an e-mail from one of our city council members. He wrote: "Please take me off your E-mail list." For now his name will remain anonymous.

Nice touch. Just what we need in Elgin.

No comments:

Post a Comment