Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A walking tour

It was lovely weather on election day so I walked to the bank and to the Legion Hall to cast my vote. I took along the camera.

Along the way I took some photos of unpaved parking surfaces and graffiti. Here are the results:


Unpaved parking between Porter Court and Liberty on the south side of Summit.


Just down the street on the north side of Summit (just west of the fire station) was more unpaved parking.

Then at 431 Summit someone had tagged the garbage can with graffiti. I believe the group is the “TBS” for True Bombin’ Soldiers.

Walking north on Dundee I noticed that the homes along the north side of Summit (400 block) have all sorts of unpaved parking in the back. These homes are behind the empty Dunkin Donuts shop on the corner.

Then at about 555 Dundee you see this unpaved parking right out front.

And yet another one at Dundee and Enterprise.

The Family Dollar store right next to Larsen Middle School has graffiti on the parking lot light pole and the realtor sign out at the street. (You don’t suppose the middle school students notice these things, do you?)

At 593 Dundee they have decorated the sidewalk outside Mitchell Insurance.

523 Columbia. More unpaved parking.

628 Lincoln. Ditto.

639 Lincoln (I’m guessing at the address since I didn’t see one). Unpaved parking.

And more unpaved parking at 544 Jefferson.

For the record, I was cited for parking on the gravel back in February. I’ve now planted grass there and we don’t park there.

So...go to it city fathers. With four seats up for grabs I expect this to be cleaned up before the primaries in February.

2 comments:

  1. The City removes graffiti that has been reported. Did you call this in? The graffiti hotline number is 847-931-5599 or you can report it online http://cityofelgin.org/index.asp?NID=739

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the city has been notified. In fact, I contact them about once a week with graffiti complaints.
    My point here is that violations abound. Deering himself ratted me out for a gravel driveway apron that was on my property when I bought it in 1988 but now tells me that the others are grandfathered in because they were there in 1962. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete