Saturday, June 14, 2008

Unity in the Community

A few AFLA folks spent the morning over at the library at the “Unity in the Community Forum” brought to you by the Elgin Human Relations Commission and Rainbow/PUSH.

There were a number of groups represented (about 20). Much of the morning was devoted to ice-breaker type group exercises designed to create a sense of team building.

The facilitator read some of the mission statements and I read part of a statement that describes AFLA’s position. My little speech was about five minutes but I only read some of it. See the blog entry below for the entire speech and the surprise ending.

Then people came around to our area and we got to share some of our information. I have a few booklets left so if anyone wants one send me your address. (afla.heaton@sbcglobal.net)

The reaction from these community organizations was interesting. I spoke with four African-American leaders who understand the impact of illegal aliens on their people. They realize the economists are right when they say that low-skilled illegal aliens in the work place drive down wages, benefits, and safety for the working poor.

They also understand that illegals are taking jobs from the unemployed in their neighborhoods.

Our illustrious state senator Mike Noland came up to me and told me that this was a good place for me to be so I can learn from these minority groups.

On woman puzzled me. She was from some Christian ministry. White. About 45 years old. She said, “What are you doing here?” When I asked her what she meant she said she was trying to figure out what our organization had to do with unity.

I explained that the high number of illegal aliens in our country (and in Elgin) are creating an atmosphere of discrimination against those who are here LEGALLY. Legal immigrants have every right to be treated with respect.

I also explained to her the impact of illegal aliens on the job market. I could tell she wasn’t convinced.

One of the SOAP members took a jab at us. He held up his little child and said his father was an immigrant and he resented his daughter being labeled as an "anchor baby." If this man is here legally and his wife is here legally, the child is NOT and "anchor baby." I didn't understand his point.

I have to say that the event organizers did not make any effort to exclude us or hush us up. They allowed us time to introduce our group and distribute our materials.

I want to thank the other AFLA supporters who attended along with me. It’s always good to have moral support.

1 comment:

  1. In a way, Noland was correct. You can learn from the "minority" groups that you need to organize to have your voice heard and your interests vindicated. Law-abiding mainstream Americans residing in Elgin exist in an environment not dissimilar to that faced by blacks in the South of the 1950's. The political, economic and social leadership of Elgin has too long prospered from and promoted an "illegal culture" that feeds off of and devastates honest Americans. The recent report on gang activity - whitewash as it was - points out the need to organize and to confront the illegal culture headon. Sitins at Mike Noland's or Leo Nelson's office, any one?

    ReplyDelete