Tuesday, May 13, 2008

AFLA friends

Spending time at the exhibit last week helped me apprciate what great friends we have in AFLA.

First thing Thursday morning I was met by a man from St. Charles who had come up to see what he could do. He's a retired phone company executive who brought me some articles he had clipped out about crimes in the Fox Valley.

He spent about three hours with me that morning. When things were slow (during class time) he kept me company. He had quite a story. His father died when he was 19 so he went to work full time to provide for his mother and three younger sisters. What a guy! And he came back on Friday morning to spend more time with me.

Then there was Dean Knopse's friend who came down to say "thank you" and tell his story.

An amputee toured the exhibit in his wheelchair.

One fellow from up in Antioch drove down to see the display. He was accompanied by his 90-year-old mother. He wants to make arrangements to do it at College of Lake County.

And who can forget the two AFLA folks who came in on Friday to relieve me while I went to a wedding? They were a great source of support and encouragement.

Last but not least, a single mom who has been with us from the beginning came walking in after work at about 4:15 on Friday. She stayed through to the end and helped me pack up the exhibit. Her son even helped carry things out to the car for me.

So, from start to finish we had AFLA help. The first person I saw on day one and the last person I saw on day two were both good AFLA friends. Most of the help was spontaneous. All of it was heartfelt. We are indeed blessed to have good friends in this cause.

2 comments:

  1. I wish pat perez had the guts to attend. his response to the letter was DISGUSTING. He must be removed as sheriff. He may have mental problems if he took the letter as a threat. Many police officials are out of control and think they are above the law. Take his response to the feds and see if they say the letter was a THREAT, we need federal help against crooked Kane cops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat Perez is a power-hungry, egotistical scumbag. Ask any questions, and you are being "disrespectful." So just sit down and shut up, taxpayers!

    ReplyDelete